The History of Sâkêwêwak

Sâkêwêwak is a Plains Cree word meaning “they are emerging” or “they are coming into view”.  During the collective’s formative period, the name was chosen to reflect the community’s vision for an organization that would support the emergence of new artistic practices and support Aboriginal artists in developing projects that meet the challenges of identifying current and historical reference points and exploring contemporary artistic concerns.

The Regina Aboriginal arts community first organized in 1991 as Ironbow, which later incorporated as Circle Vision Arts Corporation, an Aboriginal arts service organization provincial in scope.  In 1993, with the assistance of Circle Vision, the Regina region organized under the name Sâkêwêwak. During Sâkêwêwak’s early stages, programming focused on professional development.  Later, when partnerships were initiated, presentation activities (exhibitions, screenings, performances, concerts) were organized on a consistent basis.

Since incorporating in 1996, Sâkêwêwak has maintained a variety of workspaces, guided by our strategic programming cycle.  In February 2012  Sâkêwêwak moved into its current facility located at 2150 Albert Street in a building dedicated to the arts, off of 13th and Albert, in Regina's Cathedral Arts Community area.  The new location easily accommodates our administrative space, resource centre and video/audio production facilities and is easily accessible as a number of Regina transit routes stop in front of the building, and it is within walking distance of the neighborhoods of North Central and the Core, where a majority of our membership and audiences reside.

Founders

Âhasiw Maskêgon-Iskwêw (1958–2006)
Edward Poitras
Robin Brass
Reona Brass
Sherry Farrell Racette